Connecting your Speakers
To connect your AP4 speakers to a receiver or amp you will need 2-conductor stranded speaker wire. All Audioengine speakers use high quality, five-way gold plated binding posts that will accept heavy gauge bare wire, banana plugs, spade lugs, or pin terminators. We recommend your speaker wire be at least 16 gauge and you use the same length of wire from your amplifier to each speaker. It’s also a good idea to turn off your receiver/amplifier before connecting your speakers.
Preparing the Speaker Wire
- Separate the last 3” of each speaker wire conductor.
- Strip ½” of insulation from the end of each wire.
- Twist the exposed copper strands with your fingers 3 or 4 times so the strands stay together.
Note: As you make your connections, be sure to connect the positive (+) terminals on your receiver to the positive (+) terminals on your speakers. Even if your wire does not have (+) or (-) markings, most 2-conductor speaker wire has printing on one side to help you differentiate between the wire pairs.
If you are Using Bare Wire
- Use your thumb and finger to unscrew the binding post connectors on the back of each speaker.
- Insert each speaker wire into the holes on the side of the binding post connectors, observing proper polarity.
- Retighten the binding posts with your fingers.
- The stripped portion of the wire should be secured firmly in each connector.
- Make sure that none of the speaker wire strands have come in contact with an adjoining terminal.
For the full setup guide, download the attached PDF